Monday 16 March 2009

Amphibian Q&A

Derek Hogue, or Amphibian, is responsible for designing some awesome covers for my all time favorite band Propagandhi, as well as working with some 'ethical' clients in Canada. Check out amphibian.info.

Artwork for Propagandhi's new album - Supporting Caste (which uses the art of Kent Monkman, on the cover):





Any way, I asked him a bunch of questions and he was sound enough to get back to me with some answers:

How important do you think that design is within the promotion of charities/campaigns/social issues, and do you think that it is often overlooked (by charities, campaigners, etc)?
I think it's very important. The difference between a clear, communicative and remarkable design and an ambiguous, unremarkable design is the difference between attention and dismissal, donations and no donations, etc. On the other hand, I think charities and social campaigns should be wary of spending gobs of money on design, and instead find passionate and interested designers who are willing to work for very cheap or free for the cause.

How different do you think that your studio is from one that isn't as 'ethically' driven, in terms of both the practical running of the studio and the process involved in the actual design?

Well, I'm only a "studio" in as much as a desk in my living room with me sitting at it is a studio, hehe. But when I do work on more commercial projects, I don't think there's anything fundamentally different about how I approach it. No matter the project, if I took it on, it means it deserves my full attention and effort.

Do you find that this kind of design can be more 'restrictive'; for example, because of lack of funding, sensitivity of issues, etc?

Definitely around budget - or when there's *no* budget. As a tiny, one-person shop, it's harder and harder to find tome for pro-bono work for activist groups and the like, so when I do make the time, I am always wishing I had more of a chance to flesh out designs and do better work. A goal of mine is to slowly dedicate more time to to these sorts of projects, and to in effect come full circle to the amount of time i dedicated to these projects when I first started out.

Do you think that designers, in general, have any particular social responsibilities? Do you think that they should be held more accountable than the rest of the public?

More accountable? No. But at least equally accountable. I think every individual must be held accountable for the effects of the work they do. Doing excellent creative work for Exxon makes you, as a designer, partially responsible for the effects of that work. I don't believe in "apolitical" work ... it simply doesn't exist.

In a capitalist society, most conventional products are sold to us as commodities with personalities and human qualities, as opposed to 'things' with 'functions' As a lot of the today's 'problems' are the result of Western capitalism/consumerism, do you think that it could be considered unethical/unproductive to promote social issues in the same 'reified' way (as opposed to using facts, figures, logical argument), as it could serve to promote and enforce a consumerist mindset?

I'm not entirely sure we're in any position to use such abstractionist thinking at the moment, given the state of the planet. Right now my opinion is that whatever it takes to fix this shit we're in, let's do it. Certainly not unethical or counterproductive. Perhaps short-sighted. I'm trying to think of an example of this in a social/activist context, but can't so much. Er, next question!

Are there any social issues that you feel are more urgent/important than others, eg. environmental issues / human rights / animal rights / working within the local community / etc?
Well, I personally feel strongly that the state of the planet and the wholesale slaughter of its non-human inhabitants is of extreme urgency. But I also think that humanity needs to tackle it all, and that individuals should direct their energies towards the issues that touch them and motivate them the most - or indeed are of immediate consequence to them - as that will lead to the most work getting done.

Do you find it more personally satisfying working with your clients, that you would working with more commercial clients? Why did you decide to set up Amphibian?
Definitely. The few projects I've done of a more commercial nature have generally bored me and been tedious and unfulfilling. Amphibian just kinda grew organically from my interest in design, and then programming, and my eagerness to help people who I thought were doing good work, or who inspired me.

What is Amphibian's rationale/goals/intentions?

To do good work for good people, and eke out a living doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment